Bring your questions for our clinicians! Our agenda is packed with useful sessions for the AOT and active participation is welcome.
Each horse/rider will have an individual lesson so Smith can give his undivided focus on each team. Auditors and other riders are encouraged to observe the lessons as a learning opportunity.
All participants will be welcome to join Smith in the arena during non-riding sessions for a close-up view of the topic at hand.
Day 1 (Friday, Oct 14)
- 12:00pm – 9:00pm Check in (horses only)
- 6:00pm – 8:00pm Poolside Cocktail Meet & Greet – Everyone is welcome to tour the farm, enjoy hors d’oeuvres and drinks around our indoor pool, and visit with the clinicians and attendees. Bring your swimsuit and towel!
Day 2 (Saturday, Oct 15)
- 7:00am – 9:00am Check in (horses and auditors)
- 9:00am – 9:15am Welcome and Introductions
- 9:15am – 10:00am Shoeing with Jeremiah Sprague – You’ll learn what good shoeing looks like, and we’ll discuss how to fix uneven movement, how to enhance a horse’s natural abilities, and what the rules are for each division.
- 10:00am – 10:15am Break
- 10:15am – 12:00pm Lessons
- 12:15pm – 1:30pm Lunch – Ringsmanship – Enjoy a catered lunch while we discuss ways to make your ride stand out (in a good way!). You’ll learn how to work a ring in a big crowd, techniques for finding a spot on the rail, and the right way to make an entrance.
- 1:30pm – 4:00pm Lessons
- 4:00pm – 4:15pm Break
- 4:15pm – 5:30pm Equine Bodywork with Dr. John Hanover – Massage, stretching, chiropractic, and acupuncture are excellent for keeping show horses in top physical shape. Learn when to use which, along with some techniques you can do yourself.
- 5:30pm – 7:00pm Dinner and Social Time – Catered by La Potosina Mexican Restaurant
- 7:00pm – 7:45pm Centered Riding with Dr. Sarah Watson – From your physical strength and balance to your mental well-being and harmony, rider fitness has a direct impact on your horse’s performance. Learn how to become strong and balanced in your body and mind.
- 7:45 pm – 9:00pm Long Lining & Bitting Rigs – We’ll demonstrate the equipment and techniques used for long lining and bitting rigs. You’ll gain an understanding of how and when to use these great training methods.
Day 3 (Sunday, Oct 16)
- 7:00am – 8:00am Check in (auditors)
- 8:00am – 9:00am Tails – Nothing sets a show horse apart from the crowd like a long, flowing tail. We’ll show you how to care for a tail, how to fit a tailset, and how to apply a brace and switch.
- 9:00am – 9:15am Break
- 9:15am – 11:15am Lessons
- 11:15am – 12:30pm Lunch – Open Q&A with Smith
- 12:30pm – 3:00pm Lessons
- 3:00pm – 3:15pm Break
- 3:15pm – 4:15pm Bits & Bridles – We’ll talk bit theory and practical applications to help you understand what bits to choose for your horse. We’ll also cover fitting a show bridle and the various work bridle setups.
- 4:15pm – 4:30pm Closing
Agenda subject to change